For the longest time, I avoided social networking sites as much as I could. But out of curiosity, I would sometimes check one out, sign up and stay on for a few days, get tired and delete my profile. I just never got much into it. At least, blogging is productive and creative. But I just couldn’t see the point in flaunting a slideshow of someone’s drunken misadventures, for all the world to see.
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine convinced me to sign up for a Facebook account. He said, people have been asking about me. And so finally, I gave in. Little did I know that almost every walking creature I have every known in my life was there! Geez, I must’ve gotten about 200 emails within the next 48 hours. I was overwhelmed. But it was a good kind of overwhelming. It was nice to say hi to people I haven’t seen or talked to in the last 25 years. And looking at everyone’s avatar, it became surprisingly apparent that my hair and weight have remained significantly intact, all these years. Whew! What a relief! But to be honest, I’m not sure how long I’m gonna last around here, as well. We’ll see.
Anyhow, about a week ago, I was flipping through pages at fastcompany.com and found a list of seriously whacked out websites that I just couldn’t believe actually existed. I mean, how weird have we become as a society! If I didn’t see the point to MySpace or Facebook, imagine my horror when checking out the following social networking sites.
- Lost Zombies – If you believe in zombies or think you’re one, this is one heck of a graveyard summit.
- My Free Implants – For women with big-balloon dreams and a flat-tire bank account. And for the crazy men willing to shoulder the expenses.
- Beautiful People – Think you’re one of them? Go sign up. And if your account suddenly gets deleted, it only means you were in denial and are dead wrong, in the first place.
- Spot a Potty – An exclusive club for people obsessed with toilets. Toilets!!! By the way, if you ever find yourself in the middle of nowhere and needing to go badly, have no fear, Miz Pee is here!
- Don’t Date Him, Girl – Girl meets boy. Boy asks for a date. Girl says yes. Girl logs in to her Don’t Date Him, Girl page and starts a background check. Girl reads all about other girls’ horrific experience with said boy. Girl cancels date. Repeat process.
Actually, there was a few more, but these guys take the cake for me. Besides, I couldn’t take anymore. Can you?